Disclaimer before you read the rest of this (amazingly tasty and dummy proof) recipe – I AM NO BAKER. To the point that my husband actually giggles at my failed attempts. I’m not the one to measure things properly – most of my pre-recipe set up is wishy-washy, a touch of this and that, “mostly” 2/3 cups etc. Haha I am sure you get the picture!
I do like a good Christmas themed activity – and new to our list of Christmas traditions is baking gingerbread men (and women). This tasty recipe isn’t overpowering with ginger – it has a mild “Christmas-y” taste that will probably bring back childhood memories. This particular batch was made for a simple, home-made and personalised gift.
After your biscuits are baked, you can decorate them with whatever you like! I used gum paste for their clothes and royal icing for added details.
Gingerbread biscuit recipe
125g Salted butter – room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar
¼ cup muscovado sugar
2 eggs – lightly beaten
2 ½ cups plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
2 tsps ground cinnamon
3 – 4 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180’celsius
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric beater until light and fluffy. Add muscovado sugar and egg.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and slowly add to the egg mixture.
- Add the water slowly until the mixture is mixed well together and smooth.
- Refrigerate dough for an hour or until firmed up.
- Roll out dough and cut out gingerbread men.
- Bake at 180’ for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.